Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Meet Your Leadership Team - Wes DeShano and Nicole Raisch

Get to know you THE FIRM leadership team, Presidents Wes DeShano and Nicole Raisch. Read on to learn about what they think about public relations, THE FIRM, and what type of animal they would be!

1.Why do you love PR?

Wes: I believe that public relations exemplifies creative thinking. When you think about it, PR is really all about knowing how language works and using that knowledge to your advantage. Practitioners only have a limited number of words they can use to convey a message that resonates with people. I find it fascinating that words are as powerful as they are. When a message is effective, you can’t help but think you understand the human condition.

Nicole: Public relations is one of the very few fields that offers the opportunity to directly influence others in a positive way. Practitioners have the opportunity to share the message of their company to the world. The ability of public relations to connect people internationally to a cause is astounding; public relations is the glue between the desire to do good for a company and the realization of that desire to the world.

2.What made you want to be part of the leadership team for THE FIRM?

Wes: After having such a positive experience with The Firm last year, I really wanted to help other public relations majors get involved with it. I have a lot of respect for The Firm’s founding President / Vice President team, Torie McIntyre and Aly Dunphy, and I aspired to fill their shoes in order to keep The Firm running. Being part of the leadership team for The Firm allowed me to do this, and I have found it extremely rewarding. That being said, it is also a lot of hard work and stressful at times. That’s okay though, because I think it is beneficial to have that type of experience before graduating and entering the professional world.

Nicole: Both Torie McIntyre and Aly Dunphy (President/V.P last year) did a fabulous job of setting up a structure and client base for The Firm. I wanted to be a part of the leadership team this year because I believe that The Firm has so much to offer Gonzaga clubs and Spokane companies (not to mention all of the great experience it offers GU students). I wanted the opportunity to continue with the previous leadership team’s work and increase the student participation in The Firm and the client base. Wes and I have added a significant number of new policies and team management strategies to increase the effectiveness of The Firm, all of which couldn’t be done without the fabulous work originally done by Torie and Aly.

3.What is your favorite part of social media?

Wes: I think that social media’s greatest strength is its ability to keep interested audiences up-to-date in real time. If you follow your favorite organization on Twitter, for example, nothing says “I care about you!” like a Twitter post that previews tomorrow’s headlines.

Nicole: My favorite part of social media is that it is a great way to connect people; someone in Australia or China can read the same post as I can on my computer at home. Social media helps companies and people connect with others they wouldn’t be able to reach through any other medium.

4.What is your favorite part of PR?

Wes: My favorite part of public relations is the writing. I’m also an English major, and I have to say that writing is undoubtedly my passion in life. Writing a sentence four or five different ways, or trying to brainstorm the “best” word possible for a project, is something that I never find tiring or burdensome. Because the truth is, certain words will appeal to certain people.

Nicole: My favorite part of public relations is a combination of writing and people. I love being able to put together words into sentences that create emotions in people. I also really enjoy how writing can connect people; when someone reads a sentence or a press release about a nonprofit providing eye glasses to an old woman who hasn’t been able to read her bible in years – that is when the emotional appeal of words connects people to causes and creates change. I love public relations because it gives me the ability to use my words to positively impact the world.

5.What is your favorite pet?

Wes: I love all three of my cats back at home! Their names are Tucker, Ted, and Dicey, and they never cease to amuse me!

Nicole: I have two chinchillas, Gouda and Chi. They are hilarious to watch jump and bounce around. They each have their own personalities and it’s rewarding to watch them grow and get more comfortable with me.

6.If you could be an animal what you be and why.

Wes: This one threw me for a loop! I think it would be pretty fun to be a koala bear, if I had to pick just one awesome animal to be. As a koala bear I would just hang out in the Australian outback and take it easy. Or I might try to get a cameo on the next season of Survivor held there.

Nicole: If I could be an animal, I would definitely be a dog. They are one of the few animals that really enjoy being connected to other animals and people. Dogs also show emotion and they can recognize emotion in others; both characteristics which are very valuable.

7.What are your hobbies? What do you do in your free time?

Wes: I usually try to squeeze as much as I can into my free time, mainly because I have so little of it! But when I decide to take a break from school, I really like to play sports and have marathon sessions of watching my favorite TV shows. I play intramural football, basketball, softball, and Ultimate Frisbee, and I also enjoy action sports like bike riding, skateboarding, and skim boarding. My favorite TV shows of all time are The Office, That 70’s Show, How I Met Your Mother, and Arrested Development. All of these shows are pure comedic genius!

Nicole: In the rare bits of free time I have, I really enjoy working out. Sweating out the stresses and frustrations of the day is something that helps me stay on track. I also play all the intramural sports I can. Recently, I signed up for yoga, Zumba, and snowboarding classes – I love them all so far! I have been playing volleyball since high school and I play on the Gonzaga Women’s Club Volleyball team and it is one of my favorite hobbies. I also enjoy watching all kinds of movies and my favorite TV shows – 30 Rock, House, and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I also enjoy relaxing with friends and experiencing as much as I can in Spokane, at Gonzaga, and all over the world.

8.What do you want to gain from being part of THE FIRM?

Wes: I want to be able to say that I was instrumental in establishing The Firm as a respectable organization in Spokane. I believe that our clients are very grateful for our services and that our teams have the potential to positively benefit these clients. Having this sense of accomplishment is probably the main experience I want to take away from being part of The Firm.

Nicole: I have always been comfortable in my leadership abilities but I would also like to gain first hand experience on how a firm and client relationships function. I also want to leave a solid foundation for the upcoming leadership team to continue to establish The Firm as a legitimate public relations firm for organization throughout Spokane; I believe the need is there and there are many clients that could benefit from our services.

9.Are you excited about THE FIRM? What are your expectations?

Wes: Absolutely! My expectations have already been met by our teams, and it’s only halfway through the year. I really wanted to see enthusiasm and creative thinking from our members, and I believe that our teams have succeeded in this. I look forward to our teams carrying this energy over to next semester and producing quality documents for our clients.

Nicole: Of course! We have a lot of great individuals working with extremely appreciative clients. All of the teams are energized and ready to create some great materials, put on events, and manage communications for our clients. I expect all of the teams to work hard and have fun. My hope is that each team can create something to benefit each client and make a measurable difference.

10.Where are you from originally (before GU)?

Wes: I am originally from Poulsbo, WA. All I can say about my hometown is this: Norwegian influence, shops closed at 7 p.m., population of about 10,000, super small! Really though, I love my hometown and think it is an awesome place to live. There’s just something about the Pacific Northwest that appeals to me.

Nicole: I am originally from Los Gatos, CA. My hometown is just outside of San Jose, CA. I love the location; I am one hour from San Francisco, 45 minutes from the beach, and can choose out of 3 movie theaters within 15 minutes. I love the sunshine and you can never get enough of it in California!

11.What do you love about GU?

Wes: I love everything about Gonzaga! There are so many opportunities for academic success, social life, and professional development on campus that I can’t think of a better university to attend. When I think back on my time at GU, I can honestly say that I will have nothing but positive memories of the place that shaped the course of my life.

Nicole: When I visited Gonzaga for the first time more than 4 years ago, it was the first college I visited that I got “good vibes” from. And after 4 years at GU, I now understand why Gonzaga has good vibes – great academics, a vibrant athletic scene, fabulously friendly people, a well rounded curriculum, and a belief in giving back to the community.

12.What do you think THE FIRM can do for Spokane and for GU?

Wes: I think that The Firm has tremendous potential to benefit both Spokane and GU in terms of providing dependable public relations services. As we continue to grow each year, our reputation can only grow. Hopefully, the community will recognize the level of talent that our organization has, as well as the willingness of students to help other clubs, organizations, and businesses meet the goals they want to accomplish. The Firm has such a bright future at GU, I can’t wait to see what next year’s teams are able to do!

Nicole: Many great clubs and companies throughout the Gonzaga community and Spokane have a lot to offer students and consumers, their word just needs to be heard. I think that The Firm can fill that gap and help connect audiences to these valuable clubs and companies. I believe that next year’s team will continue to develop The Firm’s notoriety throughout the community through great work and good client relations.

No comments:

Post a Comment